julio 03, 2006

Eulogy

EULOGY
by Janize Mendez de Guzman
©Copyright, 2006

Finally the glorious day has arrived, she is finally gone.

Yes, that sounds a little rude, but I am happy for her passing.

When I was 12 years old, we met by chance; since then, we have seen each other for five days every single month.

I cannot deny that she was my faithful companion for 37 years, even though I despised her. But her visits relieved me and she always acted as my confidant, especially in my crazy days of youth.

One year, she was absent for 9 months, she disappeared without notice, exactly as she did right now. But this time, I am pretty sure she is not going to come back. Thanks God!

Now, I am observing her, resting in her pink coffin with her red dress as she had ordered. I do not feel any sorrow.

I still remember the embarrassing moments that she made me have, or when she made me cancel an anticipated date that I had been waiting for weeks, because she decided to arrive early. But I have to admit that technology made our days together more reliable and secure.

I can only feel happiness, because the ghost of my youth dissipates and now the light of the autumn will accompany me until my days of winter arrive.

I know for sure that I can live without her, and from now on, I can enjoy my days without her visit marked in the calendar.

Without her, The Menstruation, I am a new woman living another stage of my life.

Rest in peace, crazy girl!!!